IQA World Cup 2016
The International Quidditch Association(IQA) organises and governs the real-life sport of quidditch worldwide. It oversees regular events to promote competition and its social mission throughout the world.
The IQA’s most recent event, European Games, saw 12 teams competing for glory. Sarteano, Italy, played host to over 500 players and spectators for the two day event. In partnership with l’Ombrico Cultural Association and the City of Sarteano, the event was a resounding success for local business, competing teams, and the sport itself. It received global news coverage and extremely positive feedback.
The IQA World Cup is a biannual tournament open to national teams selected by any of the Association’s eligible leagues around the world. It is the premiere international quidditch event.
World Cup 2016 will take place over two days on a weekend in June, July, or August (to be determined by the availability of our host). All bids that meet the event’s minimum requirements will be considered. Bids may be submitted by member national leagues or by cities independently. Detailed bid packages outlining the facilities and services offered must be submitted via email to IQA Executive Director Harrison Homel no later than 15 October.
The Bid Package must include:
- The name of the submitting organisation or city
- The name, title, and contact information for the bid’s point of contact
- The address of the site(s) offered and distance between them if applicable
- The dates offered for the event, and any other events that are occurring the same weekend or at the same location
- City population and major tourist attractions
- A detailed logistical overview of the facilities offered, including:
- Indoor and outdoor spaces available, including square meters (feet) of outdoor space
- How many pitches could be comfortably placed in the outdoor space
- A description of the play surface (Turf or grass, etc)
- Available restroom and shower facilities, and their distance from the area of play
- The availability, quality, and coverage of wifi on-site
- A plan and allocated space for a player’s village for use during non-playing times
- A plan and allocated space for food and beverage vendors
- An estimate of the maximum allowed capacity of all offered spaces
- Security measures already in place
- Spectator seating, lights, scoreboards and other amenities on-site
- Food and beverage stations already on-site
- Photographs and maps showing the space and amenities described
- A description of nearby hospitals and a first aid plan on-site
- Historical weather data for the proposed weekend(s)
- Any relevant sporting events previously hosted by the city/member league
- A description of possible accommodation (hotels, hostel, campgrounds) within 10 kilometers (15 miles) of the tournament space, including average rates, room occupancy options, total capacity, and available amenities ( breakfast, wifi, pool and fitness center, etc)
- A description of pubs, restaurants, and clubs within 10 kilometers (15 miles) of tournament site with space adequate to accommodate our competitors for an organised social event
- A detailed outline of transportation options from nearest international airports or train stations to the event site, as well as options between host accommodation and the event site, including estimates of cost and travel time
- If applicable, cost estimates for travel from nearest international airport/train station to the host city
For serious consideration, Bid Packages should also provide:
- Costs associated with the facilities listed in the bid, if applicable
- A plan to defray costs of the event from IQA and participating teams, whether through waived fees or direct material support
- Detailed descriptions of existing partnerships or agreements that will affect IQA’s ability to organise the event
- Group rates offered by local accommodation detailed in the bid
- A list of potential event sponsors and vendors, and the steps already taken to ensure their participation
- Local logistical service providers and rental businesses with whom the bidder has had positive experience, if applicable
Submitted bids meeting these requirements will be reviewed on a rolling basis, though no decision will be made before October 31. We look forward to all submissions!